I've heard a lot about a step challenge and thought it would be a good way for me to continue
|GameFitNation.com - Photo Cred|
Even though I've been on such a huge kick to RUN THIS 5K, walking can prove to help me increase my time as well. I started out walking with a combination of running to get to my first mile on the treadmill. Let's face it there are days where this momager doesn't want to lace up the running shoes and pound the pavement....it still hasn't become a love of mine to run. So on those days, walking is a great option for me. Burning an average of 300 calories for a hour walk that feels much better on the knees is fine with me. I'm not going to give up on my 5K goal but think I want to try this 10K step challenge over the next month (still including some runs) to help whittle the old waistline down. If you are interested in changing it up a bit here is a great resource to use to plan a walking workout, How to Start Walking for Exercise.
|BU.edu - Photo Cred|
- Walk your four legged friend
- Stairs...yep, they can get your steps increased in no time
- Walk.To.The.Store. Yes it's a foreign concept in this day and age but remember when you were 12 and couldn't drive.....
- Find a walking group. Some groups meet at local parks or even at the mall. You could get some "window" shopping done.
- Play outside with your kids
- Clean out the garage. I wonder how many times you have to walk to the dumpster?
- Create a great playlist. Refresh it every other week!